Address Data Products
Harness the power of geography and discover new insights with Canada Post’s Address Data
Need help? Contact us online or call us at
1-877-281-4137 and we’ll respond within 1 business day.
What is Address Data?
Address data unlocks the power of location – providing your business with the insights and intelligence it needs to succeed.
- Leverage address data for business intelligence
- Maximize operational efficiencies by understanding your address data
- Understand more about your customers to drive successful business decisions
- Gain a competitive advantage by improving your knowledge of your customer data and find opportunities for prospecting
- Improve your marketing campaigns
- Develop new applications for the marketplace with Canada Post address data
Why Canada Post?
With visibility into every mailable address, nobody has a more comprehensive address data asset than Canada Post. With a delivery network that covers every address in the country, we are Canada’s address experts.
Data for Marketing?
- Is your company looking for Postal Code™ information for cities or provinces?
- Does your company need insights into address ranges for all Postal Codes across Canada?
- Does your company require address counts by geography to measure market penetration?
- Are you looking to map your trade area using address data information?
Solutions for Marketers
- Gain access to Canada’s most comprehensive address data for your next prospecting campaign
- With a database of all valid Canadian addresses we have data to optimize your existing and prospective customers
- Understand your market penetration to see where to target your next campaign
- Boost campaign ROI by ensuring you have the correct information for all Canadian addresses
- Learn more about your customers by appending correct address information
- Canada Post has a range of products to meet your marketing needs
Postal Code™ is an official mark of Canada Post Corporation
Can address data increase your Business Intelligence?
- Is your company looking for Postal Code information for cities or provinces?
- Does your company require address counts by geographic area to measure market, product, or customer penetration?
- Looking to map your trade area using address information?
- Having a problem matching customers over multiple databases due to inconsistentaddresses?
Business Intelligence Solutions
Having insights on location and using addresses to join it to other data sources provides companies a better understanding of their customers and their business. With the most comprehensive and accurate source of address data in Canada, our products can be used to:
- Perform analytics using address and Postal Code level data
- Understand more about your customers and where they come from
- Discover your market penetration
- Identify markets you should be in and markets you should not
- Reference “point of sale” data with location
Do You Need Improved Data Hygiene and Delivery Options?
- Do you spend a considerable amount of money every year on undeliverable mail or packages?
- Are you concerned about having valid addresses for your customers or prospect lists?
- Does your company provide mail prep services for businesses?
- Is your company interested in qualifying for incentive postage rates with Letter Carrier Presort?
- Is your company creating unaddressed mailing campaigns?
Hygiene and Delivery Solutions
Data can provide businesses with a competitive edge. It can streamline logistics, reduce duplication in customer communications and help you develop strategies that power success. Our data products can:
- Supplement your data to gain more insights
- Correct and clean your data sets
- Improve deliverability by obtaining the correct Canada Post addresses
- Eliminate duplication by understanding what addresses do and do not exist
- Qualify for lower postage rates through presort
Address Data for Application Development?
- Are valid addresses crucial to the proper functioning of your commercial software or service?
- Is your company looking to create a service that provides geographic analysis or insight?
- Are you looking to offer custom maps of trade or marketing areas?
- Is there a need for address data to create an address validation service?
Solutions for Developers
Location can be the building block for any number of applications and programs. Whenever geography plays a role, Canada Post data can be the building block for success. Here are just a small number of the areas where businesses are using Canada’s Post’s location information:
- GPS software uses Canada Post address data to get you from point A to point B
- Insurance software uses Canada Post information to determine rate index’s by Postal CodeOM
- Internal business intelligence and analytics software overlay Canada Post address data to provide strategic insights
- The confirmation of valid addresses at point of entry is powered by Canada Post address data
From Financial Institutions, Tele-Communication Service Providers, Software Developers, Retailers, Government Services and others, the use of Canada Post Data for Location Intelligence and business applications is a vital component in gaining a competitive advantage.
Postal Code Address Data (PCAD) – The Postal Code Address Data Product provides information on all valid Postal Codes. Each Postal Code has its associated Canadian address ranges (2 to 114 Clydesdale Dr., North York, ON M2J 3N2) and, if applicable, apartment/suite ranges in Canada. It also includes additional information on building types, and business or residential classifier among other things.
Common uses:, Business intelligence, various geospatial analysis and address validationPostal Code Address Data technical specifications
Download sample data
Householder Elite - The Householder Elite Data Product provides Delivery Point counts (number of houses, apartments, businesses and farms) at a specific geographic level (Postal Code level, all six characters of the Postal Code). The product also provides volume and distribution by number of houses, apartments, businesses, and farms for each urban and rural delivery installation, and Letter Carrier walk. The product allows for links between individual Postal Codes to Letter Carrier walks, householder counts and delivery installations, helping you target your campaign at the Postal Code level, Letter Carrier walk level or FSA level. In example, find out how many houses are in Postal Code M2J 3N2 or how many apartments are within Postal Code M2J 3N2.
Common uses: Penetration analysis at a specific geographic level, evaluating marketing campaign results, planning of Unaddressed campaigns to reach new customers. Householder Elite includes all required fields to interface with the Electronic Shipping Tool (EST).
Postal Code Latitude/Longitude - The Postal Code Latitude/Longitude data product allows organizations to determine geographic coordinates at the Postal Code level. For rural areas (where available), centroid is identified at the town/city level.
Common Uses: Location analysis, business intelligence
Postal Outlet File - The Postal Outlet data file provides information on postal outlets across Canada. This file lists all the postal outlets open, closed or amalgamated in Canada with their respective serving delivery installation name and postal outlet address. Insights into PO Box management and potential for convenience PO Box versus Primary delivery mode PO Boxes.
Common uses: fraud reduction, business intelligence
Householder Data - The Householder Data Product provides Delivery Point counts (number of houses, apartments, businesses and farms) at the high-level geographic area (FSA level, or first three characters of a Postal Code). The product also provides volume and distribution by number of houses, apartments, businesses, and farms for each urban and rural delivery installation, and Letter Carrier walk. The product allows for links between individual FSA to Letter Carrier walks, householder counts and delivery installations, helping you target your campaign at the FSA level, or Letter Carrier walk level. For example, find out how many houses are in M2J or how many apartments are within M2J.
If you are looking for the same data, but at a Postal code level refer to Householder Elite above.
Common uses: Penetration analysis by area, planning and evaluating marketing campaigns to reach new customers, planning Unadressed Admail™ campaignsHouseholder Data technical specifications
Download sample data
Delivery Mode Data - The Delivery Mode Data Product provides the necessary information to enable mail presorting in accordance with Canada Post standards (Link to standards). Includes all Postal Codes and associated Delivery Modes in Canada—such as letter carrier and rural route.
Common uses: Enables appropriate sorting and bundling of mail to achieve a discount on postage rates.Delivery Mode Data technical specifications
Download sample data
- Fill out a scope of usage document outlining your intended use of the data and desired product(s). This document forms part of the license agreement as Schedule “A”.
- Return the completed scope of usage document by fax (416-204-4410), e-mail (email@example.com), or
Attn: Canada Post - Licensed Data Products Group
1 Dundas Street West
- A Data and Targeting specialist will review the Scope of Usage document and send you the appropriate license agreement.
- Canada Post Address Data Products are annual licenses (12 months) from the point of signing. Monthly distribution schedule 2014 | schedule 2015
- Data is updated and distributed monthly via FTP
- FTP access instructions and credentials will be provided after licensing is completed
- Data is provided in ASCII format and requires appropriate software to process