What is a letter?
Letters include items such envelopes, greeting cards, postcards, bills, specialty stationery, legal documents, magazines, and brochures that fall within certain size and weight requirements.
When will your letter get there?
|U.S.A. and International*
|Local - 2 business days||U.S.A. - 4 to 6 business days|
|Within a province - 3 business days||International - 4 to 7 business days|
|National - 4 business days|
|* From major Canadian centres
Note: These delivery standards do not apply to Northern Regions and remote centres or to redirected or returned items.
Rates & prices
1 With the exception of the Single Stamp(s), all stamps for items up to 30 g are issued as PERMANENTTM (some exceptions may apply).
Calculate postage now with Find a Rate.
Where to buy postage
When you add Registered Mail as an option to your Lettermail or International Letter-post items, you get:
- A receipt as proof of mailing. (Lettermail and Letter-post)
- A signature upon delivery. (Lettermail only)
- Coverage for loss or damage. (Lettermail and Letter-post)
- Delivery confirmation online or by phone the next business day after delivery. (Lettermail only)
|Within Canada||$9.00 (plus applicable Lettermail postage)|
|To the U.S.A.||Available via the Xpresspost – USA service|
|Internationally||$16.50 (plus applicable Letter-post postage)|
Read the fine print about Registered Mail:
Prepaid envelopes—buy now, ship anytime
These postage paid, flat-rate envelopes are ideal if you frequently ship documents and small items.
- Available for Priority™ and Xpresspost™ services.
- Ship documents and small items within Canada.
- Ship documents to the U.S.A. and internationally.
In a hurry? Need a signature or to track your item?
Is your item acceptable for mailing? Did you seal it properly? Read our Mail and Parcel Preparation Guide for all the answers, packing tips and more.
What happens to undeliverable mail?
In Canada, all letters that are undeliverable are either:
- Returned to the sender at no charge if a return address appears on the envelope, or
- Forwarded to the correct address if a Mail Forwarding request is in effect.
Where no return address is provided, our Undeliverable Mail Office opens the letter. If we find a return address within, we return it to the sender for a fee.
Letters bound for the United States and internationally that cannot be delivered or forwarded are returned to the sender for free if a Canadian return address appears on the envelope.
Need help? Contact us and we’ll gladly answer your questions.