Visa Reloadable Card
Shop safely online
Limit your exposure to identity theft and fraud, and worry less about shopping online
Visa Zero Liability Fraud Protection
Great for everyday purchases
Convenience of a Visa without a credit check or bank account.
Perfect for travel reservations, recurring and pre-authorized payments
Transfer funds with other Cardholders.
Smart alternative to carrying cash
Limit and monitor your spending easily
Track your transactions online at www.myprepaidcard.ca
Reloadable at any one of 6,000 Canada Post locations
24-hour cash access at over one million ATMs worldwide
Insurance Coverage Update
If you currently hold a Canada Post Visa Prepaid Card, you have Purchase Security and Extended Warranty insurance on most items purchased with your card.1 To continue providing you with the same excellence in insurance coverage please be advised that effective September 1, 2014, there will be a new underwriter for your inclusive insurance.
1Please click here for more information.
How it works
- Buy your card at any participating Canada Post location. Load up to $500 on it. Start using your temporary card immediately.
- Receive your permanent card in the mail. Activate it and the funds from your temporary card are transferred automatically to your new card.
- Use your card anywhere Visa is accepted, and enjoy all the functionality the card has to offer including ATM and cash advance access, and recurring payments.
- Reload your card any time by visiting any one of 6,000 Canada Post locations or online using the bill payment options from your bank account.**
- For Cardholder Services, your balance, transactions, and your Cardholder Agreement call 1-866-760-1543 or go online to www.myprepaidcard.ca
- Card is issued by Citizens Bank of Canada and cannot be used for gambling. Funds are not CDIC insured.
**With Participating banks only.
Fee’s and Limits
|Card purchase fee||$15|
|Monthly service fee
Deducted from your card at the beginning of each month
To reload funds onto your card
|ATM / Over the counter cash advance||$2|
|Foreign currency conversion
Applies to both debits and credits and is applied to the billed conversion rate
|Maximum card balance||$10,000|
|Maximum load amount for life of card||$40,000|
|Minimum load per transaction||$25|
|Maximum in person load per transaction||$500|
|Maximum online load per transaction||$2,500|
|Limits for ATM and other cash withdrawals|
|Minimum withdrawal per transaction||$20|
|Maximum withdrawal per transaction||$500|
|ATM Withdrawal limit per 24 hours||$500|
|Over the counter cash advance limit per 24 hours
Only available at financial institutions that issue Visa cards
|Authorization tolerances: When using your Card at certain merchants, your Card balance must be greater than the purchase price by the percentage listed below:|
|Restaurants, cruise lines, taxis and limousines,
health and beauty spas:
*Visa Int./Citizens Bank of Canada, Licensed User.
†Authorizations can reduce your Card balance for up to 30 days.
Purchase Security Insurance: Most items you buy with your Canada Post Reloadable Visa card will be repaired, replaced, rebuilt, or reimbursed in the event of theft or damage within 90 days of the purchase date.1
Extended Warranty Insurance: Extend the manufacturer’s warranty by up to one year on most items purchased with your Canada Post reloadable Visa card.1
1Insurance is underwritten by American Bankers Insurance Company of Florida. Details of your coverage, including definitions, benefits, limitations, and exclusions are in the Certificate of Insurance provided with your card. Keep your Certificate of Insurance in a safe place with your other valuable documents.
The temporary card will have an expiration date printed on the front of the card.
The permanent card expires two years after issuance. This expiry date is also printed on the front of the card.
Frequently Asked Questions
Getting a Visa Prepaid Card
- How does the Canada Post Visa Prepaid Card work?
- Buy your card (using cash or debit) at any participating Canada Post location. After you provide government-issued photo identification (subject to Canada Post verification before sale), you can load up to $500.00 onto your temporary Canada Post Visa Prepaid Card. Your temporary card becomes active as soon as you purchase it.
- Use your card everywhere Visa is accepted, including online.*** You can load your temporary card only once at the time of purchase; it is not reloadable. The card expiry date appears on the front of your temporary card.
- Continue using your temporary card until your permanent Canada Post Visa Prepaid Card arrives in the mail. This personalized card will be delivered to the address you provided within 14 business days.
- Activate your permanent card by phone. When you activate your permanent card, your temporary card will be deactivated. Any funds remaining on your temporary card will be transferred to your permanent one.
- Reload your permanent card at any time by:
- Visiting participating Canada Post locations and using cash or debit (funds are available INSTANTLY and in real time)
- Using the bill payment option from your bank account (funds will be available in 1-4 business days, participating banks only. Please check with your bank).
- How is the Canada Post Visa Prepaid Card different than a Visa Gift card?
The Canada Post Visa Prepaid Card is personal, requiring your identity verified. This card can be reloaded and used at ATMs to make withdrawals and larger load values and a different fee structure applies. This card may not be given to another individual as a gift.
- How is the Canada Post Visa Prepaid Card different than a credit card?
The Canada Post Visa Prepaid Card is prepaid, which means you need to add money to your card in order to use it. It does not offer a line of credit like credit cards or affect your credit rating in any way. Also no credit check is required. The card is not reported to credit rating agencies as you may only spend what you have loaded on the card. Each time you use the card, the purchase amount is deducted from the available balance.
- How old do I have to be to get a card?
You must be 16 years or older at the time or purchase to get a Canada Post Visa Prepaid Card. Government-issued photo identification will be required and will be verified by Canada Post.
Using a Visa Prepaid Card
- What is the temporary card?
Canada Post Visa Prepaid Card sold in-store includes a temporary card that you may use to pay for purchases until your personalized, permanent card arrives in the mail. The permanent card can be reloaded with money.
Your temporary card cannot be used where a PIN is required (including ATMs). The temporary card cannot be reloaded and an expiry date is found on the front. The permanent card will arrive within 14 business days to the address provided at the time of purchase. Once your permanent card is activated, simply cut up your temporary card as it will automatically be closed.
- How do I activate my permanent card?
Before you can use your personalized card, you need to activate it and get a Personal Identification Number (PIN) for cash access. Once you have received this initial PIN you can change it to one of your own liking. To activate your card, follow the steps below:
Step 1: Call Cardholder Services at 1-866-760-1543.
Step 2: Enter your 16-Digit Card number.
Step 3: Authenticate yourself by entering your month and day of birth. Enter this information as MMDD (i.e. if you were born on December 4th, you would enter "1204")
Step 4: Once your information has been verified, you will:
- Be advised that your card is now active
- Be advised of your current card balance
- Be assigned a 4-digit PIN. Remember and record this PIN and keep it separate from your card at all times, or wait to change your PIN to one of your choosing as outlined in Step 5.
Step 5: While you are still on the phone, you have the option of changing your assigned PIN to a more easily remembered number. Using your touch tone phone, follow the prompts to enter your own 4-digit PIN.
You may change your PIN at any time by calling Customer Service at 1-866-760-1543 or by logging into www.myprepaidcard.ca.
Step 6: When your PIN is confirmed, simply hang up. Your personalized card is now active and replaces your temporary card which will no longer work. Any remaining funds on your temporary card will automatically be transferred to your personalized card which is now ready for use.
- How do I check my balance?
Just like a credit card, merchants have no access to your card balance. Always keep track of your balance in order to tell the merchant how much to charge to your card to avoid a declined transaction.
Track your balance and transaction history by:
- Using www.myprepaidcard.ca to check your balance and transaction history.
- Calling Cardholder Services at 1-866-760-1543.
- Is there any place I cannot use my permanent card?
The Canada Post Visa Prepaid Card is accepted anywhere Visa is accepted electronically, including over-the-phone and online. However, it may not be used for gambling.
- How do I withdraw cash from my card?
Use your personalized card and PIN to withdraw cash at any ATM displaying the Visa symbol or take your personalized card to any Visa issuing financial institution to make an over-the-counter cash advance (subject to fees and limits, as outlined in the Disclosure Statement of Fees and Limits).
- Can I transfer funds from my Canada Post Visa Prepaid Card to another Canada Post Visa Prepaid Card?
Yes, you can transfer funds from your card to another personalized Canada Post Visa Prepaid Card instantly using the Transfer Funds option when you log onto www.myprepaidcard.ca for free. You will need to know the recipient’s card number in order to set up this function.
- Can I use my card at restaurants and similar service-oriented merchants?
When using your card at restaurants and other service-oriented merchants, your card balance must be at least 15% greater than the value of your bill. These types of merchants will factor in an additional 15% in pre-approval only to cover any tip you may leave on the purchase - but you only pay the amount you sign for, which could be more or less than this pre-approval.
This same rule applies to hotels, taxis/limousines, health and beauty spas, and cruise lines. For car rentals, it is a 20% tolerance.
For hotels and car rentals, it may take up to 30 days for any held amounts to be added back to your available balance.
Cards will not work at pay-at-the-pump gas stations. You must take your card inside to the gas station cashier to use.
- What do I do in the event of a lost or stolen card?
Lost or stolen cards need to be reported immediately by calling Cardholder Services at 1-866-760-1543 and providing your card number and other information as requested. A replacement card will be issued subject to verification and any available balance will be transferred to the new card. As long as the lost or stolen card has been reported immediately, the cardholder will not be responsible for any unauthorized charges
- Why isn’t a refund showing up on my card balance?
If you refund something on your card, it can take two (2) to three (3) days for the funds to appear on your card balance.
- How do I load money to my card?
You can reload your personalized card at any time until the card expires. There are limits on the amount you may load at any one time, as outlined in the Disclosure Statement of Fees and Limits (can be found at www.myprepaidcard.ca). Add money to your card with:
- Cash or debit at participating Canada Post locations. The amount you load will be instantly available.
- A bill payment transfer from your bank. Enjoy the convenience of reloading your Card from work or home and add money directly from your bank account by making a bill payment to the vendor name "Canada Post Visa Card". The amount you load will be available in 1-4 business days. Not all financial institutions may allow this feature so check with your bank to ensure this bill payment option is available for you.
- How do I set my up online account?
As soon as you receive your temporary card, you can sign up for an online account so you can view your balance, transactions, and maintain your personal profile all for free. Go to www.myprepaidcard.ca and click on the "Need a Login?" link. Follow the prompts for personal and security information and select a user name and password.
The cardholder agreement can be viewed in full at: www.myprepaidcard.ca
Cardholder Services: 1-866-760-1543
***Not for use for gambling. Online acceptance at all websites cannot be guaranteed due to varying security levels.