Important information: You may be receiving fraudulent "phishing" emails pretending to be from Canada Post

You are currently visiting our Basic Site. This site is used for low-bandwidth connections, mobile devices and alternative browsers.
To restore the graphics and layout, return to the Standard Site.

Skip Navigation

Welcome! Save time! Sign up | Registered users: Sign in


What happens to a letter or parcel that is addressed incorrectly?


If the address exists, we are required to deliver the item to the address indicated. No changes can be made to the address, nor can anything be added to or removed from the item once it has been mailed.

In some circumstances, the item will be returned to sender:

  • If the address does not exist.
  • If the item does not bear a sufficient address.
  • If the addressee has moved without providing a forwarding address.
  • If the item is refused by the addressee.
  • If the postage due is not paid by the addressee on demand (where no return address appears on the item).

The sender may be responsible for return charges depending on the type of mail. These charges can vary from no charge, a fixed or negotiated amount or an amount equal to the original postage.

What you can do