Taxes on Canada Post products
Learn what taxes apply to Canada Post products and which ones are tax exempt
Most Canada Post products and services are subject to the GST and/ or provincial sales taxes. These include PST, QST or HST.
There are some exceptions, as described below.
International destinations and Canadian Forces post offices
There is no sales tax if the total price per transaction (for single or multiple items) is $5 or more.
The following taxes apply if the cost is less than $5:
- GST and QST if mailed within Quebec (QC).
- HST if mailed within Ontario (ON), Prince Edward Island (PEI), New Brunswick (NB), Nova Scotia (NS), and Newfoundland and Labrador(NL).
- GST only when mailed from Manitoba (MB), Saskatchewan (SK), Alberta (AB), British Columbia (BC), Nunavut (NU), Northwest Territories (NT), and Yukon (YT).
Lettermail™ and parcels within Canada (consumer):
- Pay only GST when mailed from BC, AB, SK, MB, NU, NT, and YT.
- Pay only GST if mailed from ON, PEI, NB, NS, and NL to QC, MB, BC, SK, AB, NU, NT, YT, and the total price (single or multiple items) is $5 or more and taken at the counter at the time of payment.
- Pay HST if the total is less than $5 and the item is mailed from ON, PEI, NB, NS, or NL.
- Pay GST only if mailed from QC, with a total price per transaction of $5 or more, and taken at the counter at the time of the transaction.
- Pay GST and QST if mailed from QC and the total transaction price is less than $5.
Priority™, Xpresspost™ and commercial parcels within Canada:
- Pay HST if mailed to ON, PEI, NB, NS, and NL.
- Pay GST if mailed to QC, MB, SK, AB, BC, NU, NT, and YT.
Commercial mailings within Canada using postal indicia
Products include commercial Lettermail, Addressed