(Country code: ZA)
Maximum Coverage = Maximum Declared Value for Carriage for the Priority™ Worldwide service.
An import permit is required for many goods. Before posting any item, senders should confirm that the addressee has any necessary permit. Senders should determine import restrictions from the country's authorities before posting:
- beeswax and hive-frames
- endangered plants and animals
- meats and animal products
- military equipment
- plants and vegetables
- serums, vaccines and cultures of micro-organisms
- tobacco and tobacco products
- toys, resembling firearms
The following is a list of common products restricted for import into the Republic of South Africa. For a more detailed list please visit the South African Customs website at: www.sars.gov.za/ :
Duties on unsolicited gifts entering South Africa consigned by individuals in South Africa can be fully rebated as long as:
1. The importer does not receive more than two parcels per calendar year; and
2. The value of each parcel does not exceed R400. This rule excludes goods that are contained in passengers' baggage, wine, spirits and manufactured tobacco (including cigarettes and cigars).
In addition to items considered non-mailable matter, the following are prohibited:
- clothing, used, intended for resale
- footwear, used, intended for resale
- honey, royal jelly, conserves sweetened with honey
- lithium batteries
- lottery tickets and advertising
- narcotics, and habit forming drugs
- poisons and toxic substances
- prison made and penitentiary made goods
- Weapons of any kind.
The following is a list of common products prohibited for import into the Republic of South Africa. For a more detailed list please visit the South African Customs website at: www.sars.gov.za/ :
- drugs and narcotics
- seeds, bulbs, raw cotton
- honey, beeswax, bees and their larvae, used beehive appliances
- uncut diamonds
- unwrought gold
Information regarding Customs can be found in "Customs Requirements" of the Canada Postal Guide.
The basic documents required for importing into South Africa:
- a commercial invoice showing the price charged to the importer. (This includes the price of transportation)
- insurance documents.
Note: other documents may be required by the importer