Ottawa (ON) – Today, Canada Post is proud to reveal the winners of the 2014 Aboriginal Education Incentive Awards. For a decade, the Awards have acknowledged the effort and commitment necessary to continue school following an absence from formal education.
The 2014 Aboriginal Education Incentive Award recipients are:
- Treena Decker, Louise Knott, Merissa McNeil, Megan Rosso and Janis Silverfox – British Columbia
- Alvis Aksidan, Amanda McLellan and Taryn Wilton – Alberta
- Stacey Houghton and Justin Mizu – Saskatchewan
- Petra Cribb-Lokhorst, Colleen Ducharme, Lorne Christian Goulet and Ashley Kaartinen – Manitoba
- April Beaton, Chrystal Desilets, Ursula Doxtator, Tanya Jordan, Sarah Kauffeldt, Lucas Keesmaat, Shannon Kimewon, Denis Restoule and Cindy Valiquette – Ontario
- Yvon Gratton – Québec
The Canada Post Aboriginal Education Incentive Awards are open to all Aboriginal Canadians who have resumed studies and completed one full year or more following a minimum of 12 months out of school. Applicants are required to submit an essay outlining their personal achievements and challenges. Each year, a selection panel made up of Canada Post representatives and members from the Aboriginal community selects up to 24 winners across the country and awards them each a $1,000 prize.