A move, even a positive one, can be an upheaval. Reduce the stress on your family, especially your children, with the following strategies to help manage the situation.
- Stay positive about the move. Your attitude will influence how everyone feels about what’s happening.
- Keep everyone informed about what’s going on. Children especially don’t like to be kept in the dark.
- Involve your children in the move. Depending on the age, offer choices with tasks and provide strategies and solutions for packing and sorting through their belongings.
- Keep explanations and plans clear and simple for toddlers. Minimize the challenges affecting them. Refrain from changing old and familiar objects (ie. Bed) and involve them when packing toys that are being moved.
- Moving can be difficult for teens too, especially because they will be uprooted from their neighbourhood, school and friends. Inform them as early as possible to allow an adjustment period.
- For long-distance moves, describe, show pictures, or take a live tour of the new surroundings and house before the move.