Learn how to use your Canada Post reloadable Visa prepaid card. Find out how to get a card, how to use your card, and what happens when your card expires.
Buy your card with cash or debit at Canada Post
Visit your local post office. Bring government-issued photo identification, such as a driver’s licence or a passport, to buy a Canada Post reloadable Visa prepaid card. You must also be 16 years of age or older. Use the Find a Post Office tool to find your closest Canada Post office.
Add money at time of purchase
When you buy a Canada Post reloadable Visa prepaid card, you’ll get your card right away. You can add up to $500 onto your card at the time of purchase. To activate your card, call Visa Cardholder Services at 1-844-590-8876.
Activate your card by phone
Call Visa Cardholder Services at 1-844-590-8876 to activate your card and get a personal identification number (PIN).
After you activate your card, you’ll have full access to all card functions. You can:
- Spend at any merchants that accept Visa as a payment method.
- Reload your card.
- Withdraw cash at any ATM displaying the Visa symbol.
- Get an over-the-counter cash advance from any Visa-issuing financial institution.
- Your card cannot be used for online gambling.
- Cards will not work at pay-at-the-pump gas stations and other automated machines. You must take your card inside to the gas station cashier to use.
- Online acceptance at all websites cannot be guaranteed due to varying security levels.
Reload your card at any time
Instant access to funds: Visit a participating Canada Post location and use cash or debit to add money to your card.
Access in 1-3 business days: Use the bill payment option from your bank account to reload your card. (Participating banks only. Please check with your bank.)
The card expires, but the funds do not. If your card is active and still has money on it, you will automatically be mailed a new card 30 days before the expiry date on the front of your card.
It’s free to instantly transfer funds from your card to another personalized Canada Post reloadable Visa prepaid card. Sign in to www.canadaprepaidcard.ca and choose the Transfer Funds option. You will need to know the recipient’s card number in order to set up this function.