Learn how to use your Canada Post Prepaid Reloadable Visa card. Find out how to get a card, how to use your card and what happens when your card expires.
Buy your card with cash or debit at Canada Post
Visit your local post office. Bring government-issued photo identification, such as a driver's license or a passport, to buy a Canada Post Prepaid Reloadable Visa card. You must be 16 years of age or older to purchase. Use the Find a Post Office tool to find your closest Canada Post office.
Add money at time of purchase
When you buy a Canada Post Prepaid Reloadable Visa card, you'll get your card right away. You can add up to $500 onto your card at the time of purchase. To activate your card, call Visa Card Services at 1-844-590-8876.
Activate your card by phone
Call Visa Card Services at 1-844-590-8876 to activate your card and get a personal identification number (PIN).
After you activate your card, you'll have full access to all card functions:
- Spend anywhere that accepts Visa as payment.
- Reload your card.
- Withdraw cash at any ATM displaying the Visa symbol.
- Get an over-the-counter cash advance from any Visa-issuing financial institution.
- Your card can't be used for online gambling.
- Cards won't work at pay-at-the-pump gas stations and other automated machines, you will need to take your card inside to the gas station cashier to pay.
- Successful payment processing can't be guaranteed on all websites due to varying security levels.
Reload your card at any time
Instant access to funds: Visit a participating Canada Post location and use cash or debit to add money to your card.
Access in 1-3 business days: Use the bill payment option from your bank account to reload your card. Please check with your bank to find out if they are set up for this function.
The card expires but the funds do not. If your card is active and still has money on it, you will automatically be mailed a new card 45 days before the expiry date on the front of your card.
It's free to instantly transfer funds from your card to another personalized Canada Post Prepaid Reloadable Visa card. Sign in to www.canadaprepaidcard.ca and choose the Transfer Funds option. You will need to know the recipient's card number in order to set up this function.