What can I do if the parcel I am expecting is in customs?
The status of a parcel sent to you from another country indicates that it is to be reviewed by customs.
You need to wait for the package to clear customs. Here’s how the process works:
- We present all incoming international parcels to the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) for customs review.
- The CBSA visually inspects each parcel or piece of mail.
- Package contents that are not on the prohibited items list and not subject to duties or taxes are released for delivery. Packages that require further inspection or duty and tax assessment are held for further action.
- Once your package has cleared customs, it is handed over to Canada Post for delivery. We update Track to indicate the package has cleared customs and is on its way to you.
- Once a parcel is with CBSA, we cannot intervene or inquire about the status of the parcel.
- Times for packages to clear customs vary. Delays can occur due to the package itself, its documentation or volumes at customs.
What can you do?