Postal Code Targeting Overview of Changes
Details on service and price changes for Postal Code Targeting effective January 13, 2020 and other recent or upcoming changes
The details in this "Overview of Changes" is for information purposes only and should not be regarded or relied upon as legal advice or opinion. While no substantial changes other than those noted in this Overview of Changes are anticipated, we continue to review and update the Customer Guides.
- For Customers without a Canada Post Standing Offer Agreement, or
- For Customers with a Canada Post Standing Offer Agreement
2020 Postal Code Targeting Price Sheet
Qualifying customers may have access to lower prices by signing an Agreement. To obtain further details, contact the Commercial Service Network at 1 866 757 5480.
2020 Postal Code Targeting Customer Guide
The 2020 version of the Postal Code Targeting Customer Guide will be posted at canadapost.ca/notice on November 18, 2019.
Making Postal Code Targeting easier to use
Effective September 1, the following Postal Code Targeting (PCT) enhancements took effect to make the service easier to use, provide greater creative flexibility and improve time-to-market:
- Align PCT card dimensions and thickness to Personalized Mail
- Full colour can be used in front and rear quiet zones (dark colours should be tested)
- If tested, full colour background can be used around 2D barcode
- White area or quiet zone around the 2D barcode has been reduced from 10 mm to 8 mm
- The 2D barcode may appear anywhere on the front of the item except the quiet zones
- List of paper stock best suited for PCT is available in best practices guide
- Testing PCT items prior to deposit is optional unless specified
Additional details can be found in the 2019 Postal Code Targeting Customer Guide at canadapost.ca/notice.
Effective January 1, 2020
New flat rate pricing for Smartmail Marketing targeting attributes
Reaching the right prospect with a Personalized Mail or Postal Code Targeting campaign just got easier. You can now create your audience using four simple price points and avoid the hassle of adding up the cost of various attributes.
- Simple selections: four flat rate price points for easier management of your marketing budget
- Standard Consumer Audience List $70/thousand
- Premium Consumer Audience List $150/thousand
- Business Audience List $100/thousand
- Premium PCT Audience List $25/thousand
- Enhanced value: you can bundle targeting attributes to maximize campaign effectiveness without worrying about cost
Effective January 13, 2020
Aligning item level surcharges
Over the past year, customers and the mail industry have invested effort to improve the quality of mail deposited at Canada Post. As a result, we are removing the item level $0.10 surcharge fee, and will align all item level surcharges to $0.05 effective January 13, 2020. Canada Post sincerely thanks our customers and partners for their ongoing efforts to produce quality mailings, and we will continue to evaluate remaining item level surcharges in 2020.
We would like to remind all customers that missing paperwork is still a large contributor to mailing delays at deposit. Please ensure copies of the Order (Statement of Mailing) are with each deposit, and/or the Statement of Mailing number is printed on shipping unit labels.
Importance of proper container fill
To help ensure safe handling and protect items from damage, we remind you not overfill containers. We recommend 2 inches of space be left in a container to allow an operator to remove the mail. A simple way to test this is to tilt the Letterflatainer (LFT) on an angle so that the envelopes gravitate downwards, when about 2 inches remain, the container is at capacity.
Enhancement to improve the customer experience at time of mailing
To help resolve the delays caused by missing copies of the Order (Statement of Mailing / SOM) when customers deposit their mailing, we remind customers that all labels for containers, monotainers and pallets should include the Order (SOM) number. This solution allows our employees to reprint the SOM and accept the mailing, provided the SOM has been transmitted by the customer. This applies to Postal Code Targeting, Personalized Mail, Neighbourhood Mail, Publications Mail and Incentive Lettermail.
Overview of Changes (OOC) posted October 28, 2019